Sales - Part-time
Position: Used Book Representative
Reports to: Store Manager Department: Retail
Location: Kentwood Store FLSA: Hourly, Non-exempt
Shift: Part-Time Pay Grade: R-1
- Greet customers and ascertain what each customer wants or needs.
- Recommend, select, and help locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
- Answer questions regarding the store and its merchandise.
- Handle complaints, settle disputes, and resolve grievances and conflicts; analyze information and problem solve.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, upcoming events, and security practices.
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Receive and count stock items, and record data manually or using computer.
- Mark stock items using identification tags, stamps, electric marking tools, or other labeling equipment.
- Examine and inspect stock items for wear or defects, reporting any damage to supervisors.
- Verify inventory computations by comparing them to physical counts of stock, and investigate discrepancies or adjust errors.
- Prepare and maintain records and reports of inventories, price lists, shortages, shipments, expenditures, and goods used or issued.
- Assist the used book buyer with pricing and descriptions of used books.
- List used books on Art of Books with appropriate descriptions, pictures and pricing data; pull orders for the internet team and/or store orders as needed.
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, maintaining them over time.
- Clean shelves, counters, and tables.
- Assist with store events and maintenance of displays.
Other tasks not on this list may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty listed above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes which includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing – Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products.
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the ability to understand and communicate information in both oral and written formats.
- Mathematics – Knowledge of the principles and methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, fractions, statistics, and currency.
- Attention to Detail – Job requires being careful about detail and thorough in completing work tasks.
- Tools & Technology – Working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications and an ability to navigate e-mail, Point of Sale, Internet, database and inventory management software.
- Sociability – Ability to provide outstanding service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment.