Nanny / Childcare - Seasonal/Temporary
Summer Camp Counselor
Camp Pinewood located in Twin Lakes Michigan is hiring multiple Resident Camp Counselors for the 2021 Summer Camp Season
The Resident Camp Counselor serves as a professional role model for our campers by leading through example and guiding campers through recreational activities that teach life skills, encourage healthy and safe behaviors and create a positive camper experience. The Resident Camp Counselor ensures that each youth has adequate supervision including ensuring that no youth is unsupervised at any time.
Camp Pinewood is a place to learn, grow, and make memories that will last a lifetime!
Scope of Responsibilities:
- Promotes the YMCA and provides outstanding customer service by creating an outstanding camper experience for children, parents and families.
- Leads recreational activities with campers, including but not limited to, arts and crafts, sports, social recreation, songfests, nature hikes, archery, and other games and hobbies. Instructs campers using various teaching methods and modifies activities as needed to ensure that campers of all ages and experience levels are engaged.
- Teaches socially acceptable behaviors to campers by serving as a role model and by using age-appropriate positive reinforcement and behavior management strategies.
- Communicates consistently with supervisor, team leader, unit leader and other team members to ensure everyone is kept abreast of camp activities and schedule.
- Supports camp activities as assigned by supervisor, including any specialty camp activities.
- Ensures the physical and emotional health and safety of campers by being safety conscious, following all established YMCA standards and critically evaluating situations for potential risks.
- Ensures compliance with established rules and regulations to ensure safety. Monitors campers and counselors and provides corrective coaching and intervention as necessary.
- Sets up facilities and/or equipment for activities and stores equipment appropriately after use. Immediately notifies Program Director of any broken or unsafe equipment or if more resources/equipment are needed.
- Works to keep camp facilities clean at all times
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age by the first day of camp
- Must have prior experience working with youth; previous experience in a camp setting strongly preferred
- Relevant specialty experience for positions supporting specialty camps
- Commitment to, and passion for, the YMCA of Metro Chicago’s mission
- Excellent verbal communication skills, including the ability to clearly and concisely present ideas and concepts and tailor communication to multiple audiences
- Passion for working with diverse youth and ability to provide a high-quality of instruction using age-appropriate practices. Ability to observe camper behavior and apply appropriate behavior management techniques.
- Proven ability to establish constructive relationships and interact as a positive role model
- Continuous learner who leverages opportunities for learning and applies new knowledge and skills
- Demonstrates evidence of YMCA Y Team competencies in previous experience or practice
- Meets physical qualifications required as outlined in job description. The YMCA will provide reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities.
Be a part of our mission
The mission of the YMCA of Metro Chicago is to develop strong children, families and communities through academic readiness, character development, violence prevention, and fitness and healthy living. We rely on the expertise, passion, commitment and energy of our instructors and other team members to help us achieve our mission one child, one family, and one team member at a time.
Child Abuse Prevention / Support the YMCA’s commitment to child abuse prevention by:
- Report any items that may provide a health or safety hazard to staff, members or guests to your supervisor.
- Follow all policies and procedures related to keeping children safe in our facilities and programs, including those related to the monitoring and supervision of children.
- Report any suspicious behavior and violation of policy and procedures to your supervisor.
- Complete all child abuse prevention training as required.
Commitment to Inclusion:
Supports the YMCA’s commitment to inclusion of all members as required by Title III of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Job responsibilities may include implementing program modifications for persons with cognitive, behavioral or physical disabilities, including but not limited to the injection of medical glucagon to members with Type 1 diabetes in emergency situations.Apply Now