Volunteer - Volunteer
Mission Statement: Motivated by the love of Christ, we promote abundant life by providing holistic services to women and men affected by unplanned pregnancy.
Position title: Mentor
Position type: Volunteer (2-3+ hours per week meeting with clients for a one-hour appointment)
Department: Support Services – Step Up Program
Reports to: Step Up Mentoring Manager
Basic Function of position: Mentors meet with female clients once a month in one-on-one mentoring sessions. They build relationships, give encouragement, and offer support. Mentors and clients also focus on five curriculum areas: self-care, parenting, relationships, life skills, and spiritual matters. The beauty is that you can schedule yourself on the days and times that work for you!
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Build relationships with clients by offering encouragement and support
· Discern client circumstances and needs in order to foster personal growth
· Call the client if she does not show up for the appointment
· Offer support and encouragement between monthly sessions with phone calls or text messages
· Sign in and out in the Volunteer Hours binder
· Wear your lanyard nametag
· Prepare for appointments by coming in 15 minutes early to pull clients’ files for the day
· Decide what material you will use based on each client’s needs and interests
· Meet with each client, spending time listening, talking, and using curriculum materials
· Give referrals and brochures as requested
· Shop with the client in the store using the Alpha Bucks earned
· Schedule the client’s next visit in the database and give her an appointment card
· Enter the visit information in the database, including the plan for the client’s next visit
Available Serving Hours:
· Monday, Wednesday, Thursday 9:00am-5:00pm
· Tuesday 9:00am-8:00pm
· Friday 9:00am-2:00pm
· Ability to build relationships and communicate with a diverse group of clients
· Organizational and administrative skills
· Comfortable mentoring, praying, and sharing the gospel.
Volunteer Application Process
· If interested in this volunteer position, please contact Lauren Herlein, Community Engagement Manager, at 616.742.0242 x105 or email@example.com.