Food Service - Full-time
Responsible for supporting the Chef with food provisioning, kitchen maintenance, and preparation of healthy and flavorful meal options for a busy family in a private household.
Our Unique Benefits
We are intentional about enriching our employment experiences through a unique blend of benefit offerings that include:
- Robust health insurance options with competitive employer contributions.
- 401k retirement plan with a generous employer match of up to 7.5%.
- Paid time off programs including vacation time, sick time, and paid holidays.
- Training reimbursement programs.
- Discounted memberships to MVP Sportsplex.
What You’ll Do
- Prepares and serves daily meals for the family in the absence of the Chef, or as requested.
- Works with the Chef in developing menus and recipes supporting the family’s preferences, allergies, tastes, and style.
- Assists the Chef with planning, coordinating, and executing meal preparation and service for small or large dinner parties and special events ranging from casual to formal service.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of and experience with household table etiquette and service; demonstrates creativity and artistic presentation in food preparation and table service, whether dining is casual or formal. Occasionally serves the family and personal guests.
- Forecasts food items required; keeps household stocked with fresh food items and beverages for planned meals, snacks, and impromptu consumption.
- Helps to purchase food items from local markets and/or other preferred vendors.
- Helps to prepare and stock easy to prepare meals for family’s use as needed.
- Provides nutritious, fresh, visually appealing, and properly flavored food; exercises a wide variety of culinary techniques and ensures preparation of an extensive variety of meals; demonstrates flexibility in accommodating individual tastes and requirements.
Kitchen Maintenance and Operations
- Ensures freshness of food stock through proper storage, labeling, and inspection.
- Assists with identifying and selecting high quality, fresh cuts of meat, poultry, shellfish, fish, game, vegetables, fruits, etc., shops for, and daily inventories, food supplies.
- Ensures kitchen, dining areas, and equipment are safe and sanitary.
- At end of workday, tidies up kitchen and dining areas.
- Runs dishwasher(s), washes certain dishes and equipment by hand, and puts away items, ensuring all are 100% clean and dry.
- Runs load of laundry for any dirty dish towels and kitchen linens.
- Follows safe operating procedures of all equipment, utensils, and machinery. Completes daily maintenance and notifies Property Manager of equipment and machinery issues for repair.
- Ensures food and supplies are stored/maintained under proper conditions.
- Performs kitchen deep cleaning as needed. Cleans and organizes kitchen drawers and cabinets; cleans light fixtures and kitchen appliances.
- Maintains readiness of all items necessary for serving meals.
- Rotates glassware and dinnerware on a regular basis to ensure all items are used equally and are cleaned regularly.
- Orders, receives, and stores all food and kitchen related equipment, cleaning, and paper supplies to ensure appropriate stock levels and minimum loss from waste.
- Maintains availability for high degree of flexibility in work schedule and hours.
- Provides coverage for the full-time Chef during scheduled vacations and other absences.
- Travels at various times to assigned family properties to provide meal service and food provisioning.
- Helps with ordering, receiving, and stocking all family properties with beverages, snacks, breakfast items, etc. as needed.
- Helps to ensure readiness of kitchen at all family properties prior to family’s arrival; at end of trip, thoroughly cleans all kitchen areas, including cupboards and appliances.
- Exercises open communications with full-time Chef and other household staff.
What You’ll Bring
- Degree from a post-secondary culinary arts training program.
- Personal chef experience in a private household setting desirable.
- Variety of culinary and catering experience with healthy and fresh meal preparation techniques.
- A background with plant-based foods and preparation is strongly recommended.
- Some baking and pastry knowledge is recommended.
- Ensures a variety of meals offered and demonstrates flexibility in accommodating individual tastes and any dietary requirements. Plans meals that will be enjoyed by adults and young adults.
- Basic wine knowledge is recommended.
- Excellent knowledge of household table etiquette, service, and entertaining protocol.
- Warm and engaging personality. Able to converse with all members of the family. Informal and steady approach.
- Must demonstrate professionalism, enthusiasm, and graciousness in service; display good listening skills.
- Must be a responsible, dedicated, and dependable person of highest integrity; self-motivated and be able to self-start and manage time well
- Responsibilities are conducted in the home(s) of the family. While an employer/employee relationship exists, employee must be genuinely committed to being part of the team of household staff whose shared goal is to offer exemplary personal service and to positively contribute to a healthy, active, and loving home environment.
- The family’s privacy is of critical importance; therefore, the highest level of confidentiality in the family’s business and personal matters must always be exercised.
- Willingness to be flexible in days and hours worked, as well as occasional last-minute scheduling is essential.
- Employee will be required to travel at various times throughout Michigan and other locations in order to provide services at various residences of client.