Food Service - Full-time
This hands-on position is responsible for supporting the Private Household Chef with creative cuisine creation and execution as well as the daily dining and special event operations for a private family across multiple residences and locations.
The ideal candidate will be able to cultivate creative multi-cuisine and multi-course menus as well as consult on wine and other beverage pairings; be personable and have a strong service-orientation and presentation skills; maintain inventory and stock for multiple properties; uphold the highest standards in regard to sanitation and safety; and have a strong desire and ability to travel for multiple days as needed. This is an exciting position for an experienced creative culinary leader to work within a highly collaborative household environment.
Hours and Schedule
Full-time position located at private residences in Ada, MI (60%), Holland, MI (30%), and Florida (10%). Specific schedule will be proactively coordinated to ensure the needs of the family are met. Flexibility in schedule is essential with ability to work weekends and travel with family to assigned locations required.
Culture of Care
RDV Staffing provides domestic, household and property related positions predominately in West Michigan. We recruit only the most skilled and dedicated people who are service-oriented, collaborative, adaptable, and who possess the highest level of integrity. Our employees experience a meaningful workplace where they can make a valuable and appreciated impact in the household(s) that they serve. Full-time employees of RDV Staffing are eligible for a robust healthcare program, 401(k) plan with a generous 7.5% match, time off, and other meaningful benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
Creative Cuisine & Culinary Experiences
- Supports the complete creative menu planning and cuisine creation, including daily multi-cuisine and multi-course meals. Shops, prepares and serves daily meals for family, mostly including a single course for lunch and two courses for dinner (three courses when entertaining). Prepares and stocks meals for family’s consumption on non-working days as needed.
- Helps coordinate culinary experiences as well as food and beverage inventory for multiple residences in multiple locations.
- Supports the planning, coordination, and execution of culinary preparation and service for small or large dinner parties and special events ranging from casual to formal service, including managing tablescapes and soliciting vendors as needed.
- Provides healthy, nutritious, eye-appealing, and properly flavored food; exercises a wide variety of culinary techniques and ensures preparation of an extensive variety of meals; demonstrates flexibility in accommodating individual tastes and requirements.
- Purchases food locally & organic whenever possible, utilizing a variety of suppliers to obtain the best products.
- Serves family as well as personal guests and participants of business meetings conducted within the home with the highest standard of customer service.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of and experience with household table etiquette and service; demonstrates creativity and artistic presentation in food preparation and table service, whether dining is casual or formal.
- Works closely with the Private Household Chef and Estate Manager to coordinate special event/dinner party details.
- Maintains vegetable garden in the summer and utilizes in season vegetables in cuisines.
- Ensures freshness of food stock through proper storage, labeling, and inspection of all kitchens on all properties.
- Identifies and selects high-quality, fresh cuts of meat, poultry, shellfish, fish, game, vegetables, fruits, etc. as well as shops for, and daily inventories, food supplies.
- Ensures kitchen areas, kitchen equipment, and dining areas are safe and sanitary at all times.
- Maintains and launders linens associated with daily food preparation; maintains readiness of all items necessary for serving meals.
- Rotates glassware and dinnerware on a regular basis to ensure all items are used equally and are cleaned regularly.
- Helps order, receive, and stores all food and kitchen related equipment, cleaning, and paper supplies to ensure appropriate stock levels and minimum loss from waste.
- Helps order, receives, and stock guest homes with beverages, snacks and food items.
- Helps order, receive, and stock boats with beverages, snacks and food as needed for family trips.
- Shows ability to adjust and operate in multiple types of kitchens with the same level of culinary quality and output.
- Follows careful operating procedures of all equipment, utensils, and machinery; establishes equipment maintenance schedules in conjunction with manufacturer’s instructions.
- Alongside of and in the absence of the Private Household Chef, manages and directs work of kitchen team members to achieve best culinary and creative outcomes for dining and special events. Communication is key to success in supervising.
- Leads by example, communicates expectations with members of the team, and fosters a mentorship environment to continually develop kitchen staff and keep team accountable.
- Oversees contracts, schedules, and supervises independent contractors hired to perform kitchen and event-related tasks.
- Works closely with the Private Household Chef and Estate Manager, informing of important issues and proposing creative solutions as needed.
- Collaborates with other team members by actively participating in staff meetings.
- Maintains documentation, receipts and submit expense reports for all purchases.
- Consults with the Private Household Chef and Estate Manager on any kitchen-related purchases, supplies or equipment. Ensures all expenses are within established business expense standards and approved by Private Household Chef and Estate Manager.
- May perform special projects as requested by Private Chef and Estate Manager to contribute to the efficiency of daily household and kitchen operations.
- Collaborates with other household staff to ensure all aspects of the events and dining experiences are coordinated.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with team members; must be a team player and willing to help other team members.
- Maintains responsibility for turn down and vitamin service daily.
- As a primary person who travels with the family, the ability to manage the full responsibilities involved with the culinary experience (theme, design, coordination, tablescapes, floral, etc.) as well as being willing to support outside of your daily responsibilities where needed is important.
Elements of Success
- Minimum of 5 years culinary experience required.
- Degree from a post-secondary culinary arts training program.
- Previous management/supervisory experience preferred.
- Front house experience (bartending or serving) preferred.
- Variety of culinary and catering experience.
- Personal chef experience in a private household setting is ideal.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Dedication to and encouragement of team atmosphere.
- Must be a responsible, detail-oriented, dedicated, dependable, and self-directed person of highest integrity; organized and reliable; positive in attitude; and one who demonstrates pride in service which he/she provides.
- Excellent knowledge of household table etiquette, service, and entertaining protocol.
- Willingness to be flexible in days and hours worked, as well as occasional last-minute scheduling is essential.
- Employee will be required to travel at various times to multiple cities and states for multiple days in order to provide services at various residences of client; other travel locations may also be required.
- Ability to see the big picture, anticipate needs, and initiate projects accordingly.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Provides coverage for the Private Household Chefs during scheduled vacations and other absences.
- Responsibilities of position are conducted in home(s) of the client of RDV Staffing. While an employer/employee relationship exists, it is important that employee is genuinely committed to being part of the household staff team whose goal is to positively contribute to a collaborative home environment.
- Preservation of a peaceful household atmosphere is essential. Responsibilities must be carried out with minimum intrusiveness into activities of the family. This requires flexibility and ingenuity with sensitivity to privacy of family members at all times.
- Equipment will be provided by employer.
- The family’s privacy and security are of critical importance; the highest level of confidentiality in the business and personal matters of client must be exercised at all times.
- Required to wear employer-provided uniform when applicable.
- Required to wear appropriate employer-provided safety equipment in performance of job.
- Ability to lift fifty (50) pounds to a maximum height of six (6) feet; occasional lifting to eighty (80) pounds.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and remain standing on feet for lengthy periods of time.