Caregiver - Full-time
MOKA is seeking Mentor’s for our Specialized Skill Building program in Kent county. The Mentor of Specialized Skill Building is responsible for the oversight of the individuals participating in the specialized skill building program.
Position starts at 18.55/hr.
Full time and part time positions available.
Benefits available for positions meeting eligibility requirements.
- Develops daily activity planning with individuals served and area supervisor.
- Transports individuals to and from community sites, and coordinates learning to access transportation independently.
- Facilitates development of positive relationships between individuals and employers.
- Maintains and submits accurate and timely records and reports to a variety of destinations, including but not limited to: incidents and daily progress.
- Helps individuals be part of the community through valued roles and relationships and assists individuals with transitions that occur in community life.
- Respects cultural differences and provides services and supports that fit with individual’s preferences.
- Links individuals to community resources through mentoring and volunteer work experiences, and facilitates learning how to independently access community resources.
- Builds trust and productive relationships with the individuals served, co-workers and others through respectful and clear verbal and written communication.
- Uses person-centered-practices, assisting individuals to make choices and plan goals, and provides services to help individuals achieve their goals.
- Monitors the individuals served physical and emotional health, gathers information about the individuals and communicates observations to guide services through verbal and written documentation.
- Identifies risk and behaviors that can lead to a crisis, and uses effective strategies to prevent or intervene in the crisis in collaboration with others.
- Facilitates individuals learning their own behaviors that can lead to a crisis and strategies to manage those independently.
- Helps individuals manage risk and helps them recognize how to stay safe on their own.
- Maintains individual’s confidentiality and respects the individual’s rights.
- Provides advocacy and empowers and assists individuals to advocate for themselves.
- Practices wellness initiatives with individuals.
- Helps individuals manage tasks that are necessary on a day-to-day basis to pursue an independent community based lifestyle.
- Establishes relationships with community resource agencies and employers and informs the community of the benefits of their involvement with individuals with a disability.
- Facilitates and encourages strong peer-group support as a primary and ideal support.
- Attends meetings, seminars, trainings, etc. as needed.
Education and/or Experience:
High school diploma and at least one year experience working with individuals with development disabilities required. Bachelor’s degree preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Valid Drivers License with three years of driving experience is required.
Applications accepted online at www.moka.org/careers.Apply Now