Management - Full-time
About the Position: Salaried ($42k to $52k) with Medical Benefits
We invite a very special kind of person to become the leader of our bakery “OHANA” (Hawaiian for Family). The bakery has been open for 4 years and we’re seeking an individual who wants to grow with us and has a passion to help further build a meaningful business in the community we love.
The Nothing Bundt Cakes (NbC) Bakery Manager directs the team and day-to-day operation, which includes all aspects of the guest experience, cake production, brand and merchandise presentation, work environment, labor and inventory control. The ultimate objective of this role is to drive sales and profitability while ensuring the highest quality cakes, a warm, welcoming environment and superior service are consistently provided to our guests. The Bakery Manager exemplifies our core values and serves as the key culture carrier to bring joy to the bakery and beyond in the community while building the team’s commitment to our guests and the NbC brand.
We’re grateful that we have been able to remain open and have supported a full team throughout the COVID pandemic.
About the Bakery:
– EightWest https://www.woodtv.com/eightwest/its-better-when-its-bundt/1471268501
– mlive https://youtu.be/E7VEcbMdARM
– Grand Rapids Chamber Podcast https://www.grandrapids.org/podcasts/s2-episode-25-nothing-bundt-cakes-on-charitable-giving-and-their-connection-to-coopers-hawk-winery/
- Team Leadership
- Prioritizes the guest experience, models superior guest engagement and fosters a positive work environment.
- Recruits and selects talent and ensures performance expectations are clearly communicated and proper training is provided to execute responsibilities effectively and enable team members to thrive.
- Engages frequently with team members to gain insight into workload and progress, address any challenges and course-correct as needed.
- Provides continuous coaching and follow up to develop team and manage performance; delivers real-time constructive feedback, and addresses any performance issues in a timely, effective manner.
- Identifies future leaders and cross-trains team members as appropriate to build individual capabilities and ensure adequate bakery coverage.
- Maintains hands-on knowledge of all bakery roles and steps in regularly to perform various responsibilities as business needs dictate.
- Business Operations
- Facilitates the opening and closing of the bakery, including cash-drawer balancing and bank deposits.
- Manages special-order fulfillment via web and email for individual guests and corporate accounts as well as large, complex orders and deliveries.
- Creates and communicates weekly sales productivity goals, cake production plan, and team schedule, and adjusts bakery coverage based on changing business trends.
- Sets inventory par levels based on production demand and sales forecast monitors stock levels, processes weekly supply orders and conducts monthly inventory.
- Ensures NbC product, service, bakery environment, and visual merchandising standards are consistently upheld and that all bakery operations adhere to food and health safety standards and our policies and procedures.
- Manages all controllable expenses, including labor, COGS, maintenance, and supplies, to maximize profitability.
- Performs administrative functions, including sales, labor and product inventory reporting, and basic accounting procedures.
- Local Marketing / Donations
- Leads proactive community outreach to increase brand visibility in the market and engage in brand-aligned events while responding appropriately to external requests for NbC contributions.
- Coordinates special event participation with local businesses, schools, and other community organizers.
- Oversees and allocates donation requests (life-to-date we’ve donated over $100,000 worth of cake and over $35,000 to West Michigan non-profits
Core Values and Leadership Competencies:
- Servant’s Heart
- Goes above and beyond to support and develop the team and create a superior guest experience.
- Keeps the good of the team and guests ahead of personal interests or gain.
- Leads by example and displays humility and empathy for others.
- Spirit of a Champion
- Demonstrates an intense drive, a commitment to excellence and a passion to succeed.
- Seizes 100% ownership of responsibilities, with zero excuses for issues within direct control.
- Operates with a sense of urgency, exercises sound judgment and seeks feedback to improve performance.
- Genuine Connections
- Projects warmth, enthusiasm, and optimism that attracts and energizes others.
- Builds positive, productive relationships and communicates often and openly.
- Serves as a strong “Cake & Bakery Ambassador” in our community.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Is HIGHLY ORGANIZED and RESOURCEFUL, can balance multiple priorities and demonstrates strong follow-up skills.
- Understands basic retail math and P&L principles, including the specific levers that drive sales and profitability.
- Has the ability to interpret and analyze business and financial data, identify areas of strength and improvement opportunity, and determine appropriate action plans to address issues.
- Leads with an unwavering guest focus and exhibits strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to engage, empower and motivate a team and communicate effectively in both oral and written form.
- Excels at delegating duties, communicating clear expectations, directing others’ work and managing performance.
- Possesses strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to accurately assess situations and identify issues, develop possible solutions and take the appropriate courses of action.
- Demonstrates strong learning agility, with a passion to grow and excel.
Education, Certifications and Work Experience Requirements:
- High school diploma or GED; post-secondary education is a plus.
- 1-3 years of leadership experience managing teams, business operations and the guest experience in the retail, hospitality or food service industries.
- Demonstrated success in hiring and developing teams, creating a superior service environment and achieving financial objectives.
- Experience in creating productivity goals, inventory par levels, and team schedules, and managing costs.
- Foodservice safety training certificate (or required to obtain within 30 days of employment).
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook, with comfort in learning new technologies.
Must have the flexibility to work various shifts, including early mornings, evenings, weekends and holidays, based on changing business demands. Manager typically has two days off per week on Sundays and Mondays.
Bakery hours are Monday-Saturday, 9am-7pm / Sunday – Closed For Our Family Fun Day
- Great hours for a balanced work schedule, closed on Sundays!
- Health Insurance
- Casual Uniform
- Paid Time Off
- Future Advancement Opportunities (Bakery is Only 4 Years Old)
- Employee Discounts
- Fun, Upbeat Environment!