General Labor - Full-time
This “hands-on” leadership position is responsible for overseeing the grounds and landscaping functions of two immaculate private estates located in Ada and Holland, Michigan. The ideal candidate will have a background in grounds/landscaping and knowledge of grasses, horticultural diseases, preventative care, fertilization of grounds, irrigation systems, pond maintenance, and basic knowledge of grounds equipment repair. This is a unique position for someone with a background in the grounds/landscaping management field to work within a highly collaborative household environment.
Culture of Care
RDV Staffing provides domestic, household and property related positions predominately in West Michigan. We recruit only the most skilled and dedicated people who are service-oriented, collaborative, adaptable, and who possess the highest level of integrity. Our employees experience a meaningful workplace where they can make a valuable and appreciated impact in the household(s) that they serve. Full-time employees of RDV Staffing are eligible for a robust healthcare program, 401(k) plan with a generous 7.5% match, time off, and other meaningful benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages and directs work of full-time grounds team members and seasonal staff at both homes. Communication is key to success in supervising.
- Leads by example, communicates expectations with members of their team, fosters a mentorship environment to continually develop grounds staff.
- Oversees contracts, schedules, and supervises independent contractors hired to perform grounds and landscaping related tasks.
- Works closely with Estate Manager, informing of important issues and proposing creative solutions that impact the properties.
- Collaborates with other team members by actively participating in staff meetings.
- Conducts daily grounds inspections by walking the properties with attention to detail in overseeing the grounds and landscaping operations.
- Hands-on grounds involvement as needed, including pruning, tree removal, fertilizing, irrigation repairs, plowing, mowing, trimming, edging, weeding; a team player leading by example.
- Assess to always improve practices of turf management, tree care, irrigation systems, landscape lighting, pest control, and a deer management program.
- Arranges for planting of seasonal flowers as directed by the Estate Manager; ensures flower beds are weeded and flower pots are clean; oversees the planting and maintenance of the garden.
- Inspects and maintains driveways, paths, pavers, beach, seawalls, staff parking areas. Ensures all are in good shape and able to be used; if needed remove debris as soon as possible.
- Oversees and schedules staff for snow removal. Ensures all driveways and walkways are properly plowed, shoveled, and salted for safe driving and walking conditions.
- Maintains exterior equipment including flag poles, pond equipment, eaves troughs, water features, etc.
- Generates, maintains, and updates written reports of the conditions of the grounds and landscaping operations at both estates, including an annual calendar for records ensuring accurate schedules are kept for all tasks required during each season.
- Takes initiative and exhibits foresight to provide suggestions or recommendations for grounds and landscape improvements or enhancements. Researches and tests new products, materials, and equipment.
- Consults with the Estate Manager of any grounds-related purchases or supplies or equipment. Ensures all expenses are within established business expense standards and approved by Estate Manager.
- Oversees and is responsible for cleanliness and organization of equipment storage.
- Assists with preparation and support of special events (including being onsite for events as needed) that take place at the residence; may include other special duties assigned by Estate Manager and/or Principals.
- Maintains a positive working relationship with co-workers; must be a team player and willing to help other staff members.
- Assists other household staff as needed on a priority basis, i.e., moving furniture, lifting heavy objects, cleaning, etc.
- Performs special projects at request of Estate Manager and/or Principals.
Elements of Success
- Minimum of 5 years landscaping/grounds experience required.
- College degree highly desired, but not required.
- Supervisory, team lead, or vendor/contractor coordination or management experience required.
- Excellent knowledge and skill level regarding proper care and maintenance of lawn, trees, shrubs, etc.
- Excellent knowledge and skill level regarding lawn care equipment and lawn related mechanical systems, such as underground sprinkling systems.
- Pesticide application licensure required (or ability to maintain upon hire).
- Ability to see the big picture, anticipate needs, and initiate projects accordingly.
- Proficient computer skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be a responsible, dedicated, dependable, and self-directed person of highest integrity; organized and reliable; positive in attitude; and demonstrate pride in service provided.
- Must be attentive to details to assure the properties are presented to “Five Star” quality standards.
- Dedication to and encouragement of team atmosphere.
- Strong multi-tasking and organizational skills.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Responsibilities of position are conducted in home(s) of the client of RDV Staffing. While an employer/employee relationship exists, it is important that employee is genuinely committed to being part of the household staff team whose goal is to positively contribute to a collaborative home environment.
- Preservation of a peaceful household atmosphere is essential. Responsibilities must be carried out with minimum intrusiveness into activities of the family. This requires flexibility and ingenuity with sensitivity to privacy of family members at all times.
- Equipment will be provided by employer.
- The family’s privacy and security are of critical importance; the highest level of confidentiality in the business and personal matters of client must be exercised at all times.
Essential Physical Demands
- Required to wear employer-provided uniform when applicable.
- Required to wear appropriate employer-provided safety equipment in performance of job.
- Ability to lift fifty (50) pounds to a maximum height of six (6) feet; occasional lifting to eighty (80) pounds.
- Ability to stoop, bend, kneel, climb, and remain standing on feet for lengthy periods of time.
- Ability to safely operate power machinery and lawn care tools, e.g. backpack blower, string trimmers, mowers, chain saw, skid steer loader, plow, snow blower, aerial lift, forklift, etc.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather conditions.