Accounting / Finance - Full-time
As an integral part of the CDV5 Finance and Accounting team the Financial Analyst will perform robust financial reporting and analysis for a diverse and growing portfolio of strategically selected ventures within the West Michigan Community. The successful candidate will have an aptitude for attention to detail, enjoy problem solving and collaboration, and have a demonstrated ability to communicate moderately complex financial information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In collaboration with the Finance Manager, creates and implements standardized reporting to ensure accuracy, consistency, and timeliness of reporting.
- Works closely with the Finance Manager and business leaders to provide financial service that supports the financial management activities of the business portfolio.
- Develops and maintains a solid working knowledge of each portfolio company in order to become a trusted advisor to business leaders within CDV5 and each portfolio company.
- Works collaboratively with the Finance Manager and Accountant to implement and maintain internal controls to detect, prevent, and/or correct inaccuracies in treasury functions, accounting transactions, and financial reporting.
- Develops detailed financial analysis, including budgeting and cash forecasting, for multiple entities to assist with financial decision making.
- Responsible for managing the credit card and expense reporting programs, which includes ensuring expense guidelines are followed, documentation of expenses is provided, and any necessary research is completed before expenses are approved.
- Supports financial planning by using forecast and actual financial information to develop annual plans and targets.
- Performs variance analyses, and ad-hoc forward-looking analyses to improve understanding of business drivers as well as opportunities to improve performance and financial impact of initiatives/strategic business decisions.
- Determines the financial impact of initiatives/ strategic business decisions and incorporates the impacts into future financial forecasts/plans.
- Completes financial due diligence processes in collaboration with the Finance Manager.
- Works with the Accountant to produce and provide narrative on quarterly financial packages.
- Regularly communicates with Finance Manager to address issues or concerns.
- Develops and implements systems to manage financial information.
- Integrates information from multiple sources to enable more efficient processes, enhanced analysis and/or streamlined reporting.
- Assists with preparation and/or review of balance sheet and bank reconciliations as needed.
- Identifies and reports emerging issues and trends to inform better strategic decision-making.
- Exercises sound judgment to identify, diagnose, and solve problems.
- Acts as a subject matter expert on relevant regulations and policies.
- Networks with industry contacts and other financial professionals to gain competitive insights and best practices.
- Builds strong working relationships with and serves as liaison to team members within CDV5 and other portfolio companies.
- Engages in professional development with a continuous learning mindset to remain up to date with business, accounting, and finance industry standards and best practices.
- Maintains weekly rhythm of communication with the Finance Manager to provide progress updates and address concerns.
- In collaboration with the Finance Manager and Accountant, performs due diligence activities.
- Prepares additional reports as directed, and completes special projects as assigned.
Elements of Success
- Bachelor’s of Accounting or Finance Degree.
- 5-7 years of progressive accounting and finance experience.
- CPA preferred.
- Experience working within a multiple entity structure preferred.
- Dedication to and encouragement of team atmosphere at CDV5.
- A high level of professional discipline, personal integrity and financial acumen that inspires confidence from others.
- Strong attention to detail with emphasis on accuracy and quality, while also having the curiosity and ability to determine the root causes.
- Strong analytical, problem solving and conceptual skills.
- Must be a responsible, dedicated, dependable, and self-directed person of highest integrity; organized and reliable; positive in attitude; and one who demonstrates pride in service which he/she provides.
- Ability to anticipate needs and make recommendations accordingly.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Good judgment and decision-making skills.
- Strong organizational and process improvement skills.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with efficiency.
- Ability to interact professionally and effectively with all levels of management and staff.
- Privacy and security are of critical importance; the highest level of confidentiality must be exercised at all times.