Accounting / Finance - Full-time
The Director of Communications – Philanthropy will develop and oversee the implementation of connected yet unique communication strategies for individual foundations and community initiatives supported by those foundations. Each strategy will consider a variety of audiences and communication mediums, including websites and social media platforms. The ideal candidate will be a passionate communications leader, expert oral and written communicator, engaging storyteller, educator, and have a deep interest in the work of each foundation and community initiative.
Culture of Care
At RDV Corporation, we recruit only the most talented people who are highly capable, energetic, positive, results focused, and who naturally contribute to a premier service-oriented culture. In turn, our employees experience competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits programs that enhance their lives and experiences. They also enjoy a workplace that is meaningful, engaging, and collaborative; a place where they can grow their career in the vibrant heart of downtown Grand Rapids, MI.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Formulate, recommend, and implement comprehensive ongoing communication strategies, as well as related positioning and branding strategies that will consistently and appropriately convey the impact, depth, and breadth of the trustees’ philanthropic efforts.
- Build common standards, language, brand relationships, brand guides, style and editing standards, and visual/aesthetic standards.
- Develop a vision and plan for effective storytelling unique to each foundation and program while tying them together through thematic connections.
- Oversee foundations-wide development and execution of digital strategies.
- Identify tools and develop processes to facilitate customer feedback, input, and evaluation.
- Seek guidance and understanding from and work in collaboration with the Senior Director of Philanthropy, RDV Corporation Director of Communication, Director of Community Initiatives, Director of DVULI, other key leaders, and trustees.
- Develop a system and cadence of regular communication to the trustees seeking to deepen engagement and understanding.
- Create and deliver stories that evoke and capture connections between the trustees and their giving and paints a clear picture of the impact by foundation, by program, and as whole.
- Educate trustees and staff around current issues in philanthropy, such as affordable housing, homelessness, changes in practice, etc.
- When appropriate coordinate messaging with RDV Corporation’s Director of Communications.
- Work in close collaboration with existing communications staff to build a team that works collaboratively across the department and utilizes individual strengths to their fullest potential.
- Create and implement a staffing plan, including enhancing the skills of existing staff, hiring new talent, and/or engaging with consultants.
- Identify and promote professional growth and development opportunities through collaboration and cross-functional work for existing communications staff.
- Oversee messaging to grantees and the non-profit community, ensuring that information is timely and relevant.
- Shepherd creative projects, including annual reports throughout the year.
Elements of Success
- Bachelor’s Degree in marketing, communications or a related field required. Advanced degree preferred.
- A minimum of 7 years’ progressive experience in creative disciplines of communications and marketing and management required.
- A proven analytic and strategic approach to communications strategy and brand development.
- Able to provide oversight but also able to participate in the execution and implementation of the work.
- Demonstrated ability to find and tell stories in concise ways using a variety of media.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build collaboration across multiple teams.
- Excellent communications skills (written, visual, verbal, & presentation).
- Proven experience in digital strategy and communications.
- Established network of relationships and contacts with key vendors, storytellers, and thought leaders.
- Superior judgment and comfort level working with confidential, sensitive, and proprietary information, as well as an uncompromised commitment to the highest level of confidentiality.
- Self-motivated with a strong performance-driven attitude, willing to execute day-to-day tasks as well as developing strategy and project plans.
- Superior interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate to all levels with tact and diplomacy.
- Experience in non-profit or philanthropy work preferred.
- Ability to manage budget, quotes, deadlines, contracts, projects and people.
- A desire to research and stay up to date with emerging communications tools and technology.
- Candidates must demonstrate a level of comfort with and willingness to articulate and support the philosophical and religious beliefs of the individual foundation trustees to carry out their desires for philanthropy and further their work in any given sector.