Food Service - Seasonal/Temporary
The part-time Chef Intern will work alongside the Private Household Chef to provide assistance and meal preparation to a family in a private household, including special events/dinner parties and practice of high-quality standards in regard to food preparation, presentation, service, sanitation, and safety.
Exciting opportunity for a current culinary student who is interested in learning more about the private industry!
Location and Hours
This position is located in Holland, MI.
This position will include some weekends and possible holiday shifts in addition to regular shifts. Approximately 20 hours/week in the summer (May – September).
Culture of Care
RDV Staffing provides domestic, household and property related positions predominately in West Michigan. We recruit only the most skilled and dedicated people who are service-oriented, collaborative, adaptable, and who possess the highest level of integrity. Our employees experience a meaningful workplace where they can make a valuable and appreciated impact in the household(s) that they serve. Full-time employees of RDV Staffing are eligible for a robust healthcare program, 401(k) plan with a generous 7.5% match, time off, and other meaningful benefits.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in the preparation and service of meals for the family or prepares meals upon request.
- Assists Private Household Chef or Sous Chef with planning, coordinating, and executing meal preparation and service for small or large dinner parties and special events ranging from casual to formal service.
- Prepares freshly baked items (i.e. muffins, coffee cake, holiday cookies, birthday cake, special treats, etc.); serves personal guests and participants of business meetings conducted within the home.
- Provides nutritious, eye-appealing, and properly flavored food; exercises a wide variety of culinary techniques and ensures preparation of an extensive variety of meals; demonstrates flexibility in accommodating individual tastes and requirements.
- Demonstrates excellent knowledge of and experience with household table etiquette and service; demonstrates creativity and artistic presentation in food preparation and table service, whether dining is casual or formal.
- Ensures freshness of food stock through proper storage, labeling, and inspection.
- Identifies and selects high quality, fresh cuts of meat, poultry, shellfish, fish, game, vegetables, fruits, etc., shops for and inventories food supplies.
- Ensures kitchen areas, kitchen equipment, and dining areas are safe and sanitary at all times.
- Completes beverage inventory and submits orders to Private Household Chef; ensures appropriate expiration dates and proper stock of items in coolers and refrigerators.
- Maintains and launders linens associated with food preparation; maintains readiness of all items necessary for serving meals.
- Follows careful operating procedures of all equipment, utensils, and machinery.
- Conducts end-of-day procedures, including walk-through of residence to ensure items are picked up and/or stored appropriately; turns off lights, turns down master bed, and secures locks.
- Works closely with Estate Manager and Private Household Chef to coordinate special event/dinner party details.
- Listens, asks questions, works well with others, and demonstrates a desire to learn and be part of a team.
- May perform special projects as requested by Estate Manager and Private Household Chef in order to contribute to the efficiency of household operations.
Elements of Success
- Current culinary student, enrolled at least part-time in a fully accredited culinary arts training program; related culinary coursework is required.
- Variety of culinary and catering experience.
- Excellent knowledge of household table etiquette, service, and entertaining protocol.
- Responsibilities are conducted in and around the home(s) of the client of RDV Staffing. While an employer/employee relationship exists, it is important that employee is genuinely committed to being part of the household staff team whose goal is to positively contribute to a happy home environment.
- Ability to remain standing on feet for lengthy periods of time.
- May require occasional travel in order to provide services at various residences.
- Must be a responsible, flexible, dedicated, and dependable person of highest integrity; neat and tidy in appearance; willing to dress in required uniform; organized and reliable; positive in attitude; and one who demonstrates pride in service which he/she provides.
- The family’s privacy is of critical importance; the highest level of confidentiality in the business and personal matters of the family must be exercised at all times.
- Must possess the ability and willingness to be flexible and occasionally work non-routine hours including evenings and weekends.