Food Service - Intern
The part-time Chef Intern will train with and assist the Private Household Chef to provide meal preparation to a family in a private household, including special events/dinner parties and practice of high-quality standards regarding food preparation, presentation, service, sanitation, and safety.
Exciting opportunity for a current culinary student who is interested in learning more about the private industry!
Location and Hours
This position is located in Ada, MI.
This position will include regular evening hours with some weekends and possible holiday shifts as needed. Approximately 12 – 20 hours/week (January 2023 – May 2023 with the opportunity to stay on through the summer).
What You’ll Do
- Assist in the preparation and service of meals for the family or prepare meals upon request.
- Assist Private Household Chef with planning, coordinating, and executing meal preparation and service for small or large dinner parties and special events ranging from casual to formal service.
- Provide nutritious, eye-appealing, and properly flavored food; exercise a wide variety of culinary techniques and ensure preparation of an extensive variety of meals; demonstrate flexibility in accommodating individual tastes and requirements.
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of and experience with household table etiquette and service; demonstrate creativity and artistic presentation in food preparation and table service, whether dining is casual or formal.
- Ensure freshness of food stock through proper storage, labeling, and inspection.
- Identify and select high quality, fresh cuts of meat, poultry, shellfish, fish, game, vegetables, fruits, etc., shop for and inventories food supplies.
- Ensure kitchen areas, kitchen equipment, and dining areas are safe and sanitary at all times.
- Complete beverage inventory and submit orders to Private Household Chef; ensure appropriate expiration dates and proper stock of items in coolers and refrigerators.
- Follow careful operating procedures of all equipment, utensils, and machinery.
- Conduct end-of-day procedures, including walk-through of kitchen(s) to ensure items are picked up and/or stored appropriately; turn off lights, and secure locks.
- Listen, ask questions, work well with others, and demonstrate a desire to learn and be part of a team.
- Navigate Concur accounting software platform after adequate training, must be willing to learn proper expense tracking and budgeting for presented menu options.
- May perform special projects as requested by Private Household Chef in order to contribute to the efficiency of household operations.
What You’ll Bring
- Current culinary student enrolled at least part-time in a fully accredited culinary arts training program; related culinary coursework is required.
- Ability to complete SERV Safe Food Handler + Allergens trainings for certification.
- Variety of culinary and catering experience.
- Excellent knowledge of household table etiquette, service, and entertaining protocol.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Outlook required.
- Must be able to work calmly and professionally with small children who occasionally participate in food preparation learning activities in Chef’s kitchen.
- Responsibilities are conducted in and around the home(s) of the client of RDV Staffing. While an employer/employee relationship exists, it is important that employee is genuinely committed to being part of the household staff team whose goal is to positively contribute to a happy home environment.
- Ability to remain standing on feet for lengthy periods of time.
- May require occasional travel in order to provide services at various residences.
- Must be a responsible, flexible, dedicated, and dependable person of highest integrity; neat and tidy in appearance; willing to dress in required uniform; organized and reliable; positive in attitude; and one who demonstrates pride in service which he/she provides.
- The family’s privacy is of critical importance; the highest level of confidentiality in the business and personal matters of the family must be exercised at all times.
- Must possess the ability and willingness to be flexible and occasionally work non-routine hours including evenings and weekends.