Food Service - Part-time
Barista / Café Clerk
Reports to: Café Manager Department: Retail
Location: Kentwood FLSA: Non-exempt
Shift: Part Time Pay Grade: R-1
- Prepare and/or serve hot or cold beverages, such as coffee, espresso drinks, blended coffees, or teas.
- Describe menu items to customers or suggest products that might appeal to them.
- Serve prepared foods, such as cookies or bagels; prepare/serve menu items such as sandwiches and soups.
- Weigh, grind, or pack coffee beans for customers.
- Wrap, label, or date food items for sale.
- Slice fruits, vegetables, desserts, or meats for use in food service.
- Clean and sanitize equipment and utensils as well as service and seating areas.
- Check temperatures of cooling and heating equipment to ensure proper functioning and food safety.
- Answer questions regarding the cafe and its products and services.
- Develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, maintaining them over time.
- Compute sales prices, total purchases, and receive and process cash or credit payment, as well as gift card and gift certificate purchases and redemptions (in-person or by phone) on a point-of-sale system.
- Maintain knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, upcoming events, and security practices.
- Watch for and recognize security risks and thefts and know how to prevent or handle these situations.
- Inventory stock and goods such as food and ingredients, and requisition new stock.
- Handle complaints and resolve grievances in a professional manner; analyze information and problem solve.
- Open and close cash registers, performing tasks such as counting money, separating charge slips, coupons, and gift cards/gift certificates.
Other tasks not on this list may be assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each duty listed above satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Customer and Personal Service – Knowledge of principles and processes which includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
- Sales and Marketing – Knowledge of principles and methods for showing, promoting, and selling products.
- Previous Food Service Experience – Experience is a definite plus but not required. Applicants must demonstrate comfort and confidence in a food prep environment as well as a desire to expand baking and food prep skills.
- English Language – Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language, including the ability to understand and communicate information in both oral and written formats.
- Mathematics – Knowledge of the principles and methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, percentages, fractions, statistics, and U.S. currency.
- Availability/Adaptability/Flexibility – Job requires being open to change (positive or negative). A retail/food-service environment will require availability on weekends (not Sundays) and some minor banking holidays.
- Sociability – Ability to provide outstanding service to others and work with co-workers in a friendly non-competitive environment.