Caregiver - Part-time
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Hours: Part-time (20 hours/week)
Bethany is changing the world through family. We began our work by serving one child more than 75 years ago. Today, Bethany is an international Christian nonprofit partnering with communities in more than 30 states and in several countries around the world. We strengthen and preserve families, support displaced people fleeing danger, and find safe, loving families for children who need them. Bethany is at the forefront of creating and implementing solutions to meet the growing needs of vulnerable children and families in the U.S. and around the world.
As a Residential Youth Specialist, you will be primarily responsible for providing care and supervising male residents in the program. This individual will serve as a resident advocate for assigned male residents, while also ensuring that residents’ developmental needs are met within a safe and supportive environment that enhances their ability to meet their treatment goals. The Youth Specialist will oversee the male resident’s safety as well as the community at large.
This individual will develop therapeutic, professional relationships with residents and offer insight into their functioning and participation in program.
Essential Job Responsibilities:
- Actively participant in assigned activities and encourage positive interaction and growth amongst the residents;
- Attend bi-monthly meetings with supervisor to discuss job performance, and/or issues or concerns;
- Successful follow the treatment guidelines by intervening in a caring and consistent manner, when the need arises;
- Promptly conduct the nonviolent crisis prevention intervention (CPI) procedure, when necessary;
- Oversee the residents’ daily routines to include but not limited to meal time, study time, outings, bedtime, assigned jobs, and other residential activities;
- Serve as a residential advocate by presenting social history at staff meeting following admission as well as reviewing the criminal sexual conduct and legal history, family history, psychological history, school history, and identify and issues or behaviors that would warrant attention in the treatment;
- Preparing meals for the residents;
- Provide residential advocacy at staff meetings by updating the team on information related to current level, length of time on that level, date of placement, length of stay, goal attainment percentages from the prior 4 weeks, school progress report, think tank or room restriction time, incident reports, assessment of overall functioning, interaction with peers and staff, and recommendation for new or revised treatment goals;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Must be at least 21 years of age with 3 years of driving experience to operate a vehicle on behalf of the agency;
- Prior experience working with individuals with sexual disorders, preferred;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have an ability to provide excellent and compassionate customer service;
- Ability to work independently and exercise a high level of confidentiality;
- Must be reliable with time sensitive deadlines and tasks;
- Demonstrated temperament to work and care for special needs youth who may have present sexual disorders in a residential setting;
- Have the ability to serve as positive role model;
- Demonstrated ability to nurture and provide structure, support, and respect to others;
- Must be able to pass required medical examinations and have the physical ability to fulfill the essential job functions, including physical restraints of a resident;
- Successfully pass an annual TB test and document preference to receive or decline Hepatitis immunization;
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary treatment team;
- Computer and typing skills sufficient to perform essential job functions;
- Active motor vehicle license;
- Maintain a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage;
- Pass a criminal history screen, including state and local child protection agency registries;
- Subscription to and integration of the agency Statement of Faith, Mission Statement, and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment.