Human Relations - Full-time
New City Kids’ mission is “loving kids for change to create a community of spiritual, leadership, academic, and musical development.” The program has a two-tiered structure, each tier complementing the other. First, New City Kids operate highly structured academic and performing arts-focused after-school centers for at-risk children ages six to thirteen. But what really makes the After School Center unique is the second tier. Instead of staffing the program with paid adults or volunteers, high school students are employed. These intensive internships are designed to open teens’ eyes to their own amazing abilities and to awaken them to the joy of leadership, the goodness of earning money, the attainability of a college education, and the transforming power of God’s love.
The HR Generalist manages the HR systems and processes of New City Kids for its Michigan headquarters location and four program sites in two states. Responsibilities include administration of payroll, benefits and leaves (including health, 401k, insurances, PTO, FMLA, etc.), compliance (including workers’ comp, unemployment insurance, safety and health and other reports and filings), and policy advice and general support for managers in the areas of employee relations, employment, performance management, recruiting, screening, and hiring. The HR Generalist works with other members of the New City Kids support services team to improve and establish the overall HR systems and help ensure all staff are cared for and supported.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Timely and accurate benefits and payroll administration
- Input, reporting, and maintenance of HRIS database and applications
- Coordinate benefits administration, including open enrollment, processing changes, responding to employee questions, etc.
- Support staffing and recruiting activities, including offer letters, staff surveys, office software administration, background checks and employee eligibility verifications, onboarding, separations, internal status changes, etc.
- Provide HR compliance postings and notices, and process and file documents related to employment, insurance, unemployment, workers’ comp, nonprofit status, etc.
- Manage HR helpdesk to provide HR service and problem solving to New City Kids employees
- Document all relevant payroll allocations
- Handle HR Mail
- Contribute to long and short term HR projects to strengthen New City Kids, including policies, standardized processes, and necessary training in relevant areas (e.g., recruiting, performance management, compensation administration)
- Maintains compliance with federal, state, and local employment laws and regulations, and recommended best practices; reviews policies and practices to maintain compliance
- Respond to employee and management questions in relevant areas of responsibility and engage in basic problem resolution and customer service
- Advise on policy related to employee relations and counsel managers on discipline and performance management
- Performs other duties as assigned
- A strong commitment and ability to communicate the goals and mission of New City Kids, including a personal and active Christian commitment, and alignment with our statement of faith and diversity, equity and inclusion policy
- A passion to work for a mission-driven organization
- Demonstrated ability to work on and desire to build diverse teams and help New City Kids fulfill its DEI policy
- 5 years’ progressively more responsible experience in HR with a focus in a Generalist role
- Can effectively balance projects in multiple areas to meet high-level objectives
- Strong communication and people skills
- Sense of urgency and commitment to customer service
- Empathetic problem-solving skills
- Fluidly navigates complex and changing environments as the organization grows and adapts
- Quickly masters multiple online platforms
- Competent understanding of general human resources policies, procedures, and employment/labor laws
- Education at a BA/BS level with degree/major preferred in Human Resources, Business, or related field
- Additional HR training (including professional certifications such as PHR, SHRM-CP) are a plus
- Position Type: Full time
- Hours: General office hours, 8 am – 5 pm, with additional hours required outside of regular schedule, including occasional evenings and weekends
- Compensation: $40,000 – $45,000 per year
- FLSA Status: Exempt
- Location: Remote
- Travel expectation: Infrequent trips (up to 2-5 times a year) for important meetings, programming site visits, and training
- Benefits: PTO; health, medical, and dental insurance plan; quarterly prayer days