Other - Part-time
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Hours: Part-time (18 hours/week)
Bethany is changing the world through family. We began our work by serving one child more than 75 years ago. Today, Bethany is an international Christian nonprofit partnering with communities in more than 30 states and in several countries around the world. We strengthen and preserve families, support displaced people fleeing danger, and find safe, loving families for children who need them. Bethany is at the forefront of creating and implementing solutions to meet the growing needs of vulnerable children and families in the U.S. and around the world.
As an Independent Living Plus (ILP) Youth Specialist, you will be primarily responsible for providing care and supervising residents in the program. This individual will serve as a resident advocate for assigned residents, while also ensuring that residents’ developmental and cultural adjustment needs are met within a safe and supportive environment that enhances their ability to meet their treatment and educational growth goals.
This individual will develop therapeutic, professional relationships with residents and offer insight into their functioning and participation in program.
This position is expected to function effectively with moderate supervision while following the guidelines given on procedures, along with agency, federal, and state regulatory requirements.
Due to state licensing staffing ratios, we are seeking female applicants for this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Actively participant in assigned activities and encourage positive interaction and growth amongst the residents;
- Obtain and retain an adequate amount of knowledge pertaining to program, and successfully implement components on the job;
- Attend monthly meetings with supervisor to discuss job performance, and/or issues or concerns;
- Interact professionally and in a caring, consistent manner as outlined in program guidelines;
- Successfully utilize the nonviolent crisis prevention intervention procedures (TCI), when needed;
- May perform Shift Supervisor responsibilities to ensure supervision coverage when scheduling needs arise;
- Provide resident updates during team meetings on but not limited to current level, length of time on that level, date of placement, length of stay, goal attainment, school progress report, think tank or room restriction time, incident reports, assessment of overall functioning, interaction with peers and staff, and recommendation for new or revised treatment goals;
- Oversee the resident(s) daily routines to include mealtime, study time, outings, bedtime, assigned jobs, and other resident activity;
- Complete other duties as assigned.
- High School Diploma or equivalent;
- Bachelor’s level degree from an accredited college, preferred;
- Bi-lingual – English and Spanish, preferred;
- Prior experience working with youth from diverse cultures, preferred;
- Must be at least 21 years of age to operate a vehicle on behalf of the agency;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
- Must have an ability to provide excellent and compassionate customer service;
- Ability to work independently and exercise a high level of confidentiality;
- Demonstrated temperament to work and care for refugee youth from various cultural backgrounds;
- Must be able to serve as a positive role model;
- Demonstrated ability to nurture and provide structure, support, and respect to others;
- Must be able to pass required medical examinations and have the physical ability to fulfill the essential job functions, including physical restraints of a resident;
- Successfully pass an annual TB test and document preference to receive or decline Hepatitis immunization, if applicable;
- Must be able to work effectively as a member of a multi-disciplinary treatment team;
- Computer and typing skills sufficient to perform essential job functions;
- Active motor vehicle license and a reliable automobile with adequate insurance coverage;
- Pass a criminal history screen, including state and local child protection agency registries;
- Subscription to and integration of the agency Statement of Faith, Mission Statement and Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Commitment.