Housekeeping / Cleaning - Full-time
Date Posted: 12/9/2022
Location: Kent ISD
Date Closing: 01/09/2023 @4pm
Job Title: Custodian
2nd Shift, 2:30pm-11:00pm; year round
Broad Statement of Responsibilities:
Responsible for maintaining the assigned district’s building in such a state of operating excellence so that full educational use of facilities can be realized.
The custodian/maintenance is responsible for providing the necessary ability to keep assigned buildings clean, safe, functional, and secure in accordance with prescribed codes and established District policies and standards.
Essential Job Qualifications Required:
- Knowledge, skills and experience necessary to complete work in an efficient manner are qualities needed to be eligible for employment as Custodian/Maintenance. The person must have the ability to operate, maintain, and make adjustment to various types of equipment, as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, and community
- Ability to effectively communicate in both written and spoken English language
- High school diploma or G.E.D.
- Ability to accept and learn new processes, technology, or techniques
- Ability to meet physical demands of the position
- Proven experience in general maintenance repair
- Expectation of continual improvement in skill development through training ie; workshops, seminars or conferences
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must frequently squat, stoop or kneel, reach above the head and reach forward. The employee continuously uses hand strength to grasp tools and climbs onto ladders. The employee will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than the average person while performing the duties of this job.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, such as cleaning supplies, packing and unloading trucks. Occasionally the employee will lift and/or move 80 pounds, such as salt and furniture. The employee will sometimes push/pull items such as tables, bleachers, scrubbing machines, etc. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs regular custodial duties in assigned area of building as directed which may include:
- Sweeping, mopping, and/or scrubbing, burnishing and stripping of hard surface floors as needed and/or per cleaning schedule
- Dusting of furniture and surfaces as needed and/or per cleaning schedule
- Sanitize locker rooms, restrooms, and drinking fountains daily. Restroom and locker rooms should include all fixtures, walls, and floors
- Washing windows on both the inside and outside as needed and/or per cleaning schedule
- Emptying of trash, daily
- Maintains custodial closet, inventory of custodial supplies and equipment. Restocks disposable items and provide Head Custodian with inventory usage
- Vacuum carpeted areas daily
- Operate custodial equipment as required
- Takes instruction from Maintenance Supervisor verbally or in writing
- Knowledge of building systems
- Responsible for preparation and service necessary for events and activities
- Cleans and maintains assigned space and equipment in the building
- Assists visiting public utilizing the facilities with directions within building and in obtaining and setting up needed equipment
- Maintains work related records and prepare various reports as directed
- Maintains building and grounds security by securing doors and windows of the building each school day, during special events or when directed
- Performs such yard chores as shovel snow and salt walks as needed, and waste removal as requested to maintain the school grounds in a safe, clean, and attractive condition
- Makes minor building repairs and routine maintenance as directed by the Maintenance Supervisor
- Repair (if able to) and reports hazardous conditions immediately to the Maintenance Supervisor or Director of Facilities
- Repair (if able to) and reports damage to the building or grounds to the Maintenance Supervisor
- Be on call as needed at any time for emergency needs, overtime, or special needs falling outside of the normal working hours
- The ability to complete your daily work, plus accommodate the students, parents, administrators, and staff
- Required use of ladders and/or man lifts in the course of the daily duties for service work of equipment and fixtures
- Provide student transportation as directed
- Assist in the education, training and testing of new bus drivers/custodians
- Projects a positive image for Kent ISD whenever the public, guests, or visitors are in the building
- Works closely with the Custodial Supervisor and/or Maintenance Supervisor to be prepared for scheduled evening activities as needed, and unscheduled events
- There is a high probability that contact with Blood-Borne material will occur within your daily duties
- All duties and procedures are to be performed within health safety standards as per OSHA and/or MIOSHA
- Other duties as assigned by the Maintenance Supervisor and/or Director of Facilities
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Shall be adaptable to working around children and adults
- Shall possess skills maintaining school buildings in a manner acceptable to the general health and safety standards of school buildings
- Basic Understanding in the following areas:
- School Board Policies and Administrative Guidelines
- School district emergency procedures
- School public relations
- Role and function of public schools in the community
- Constructive working relationships with supervisors, fellow workers, general public, visitors, and students
- Basic building repair knowledge
- Use of hand tools and other basic construction trade tools
Kent ISD strives to be inclusive in our hiring and workplace practices. We continually seek to be strengthened by the wisdom of diversity.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for the performance of this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.
Salary: Per Classified Salary Schedule – Grade 1, $16.09 per hour
Benefits: Robust benefit package includes full medical, dental, and vision insurance; paid sick and vacation days; State of Michigan School Employment retirement program; student loan forgiveness may be available through the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program for eligible Federal student loans.
Posting Dates: Open Until Filled
Distribution: Internal & External
To Apply: Kent Intermediate School District manages employment applications online. No hardcopy applications/resumes will be accepted for this position.
- Applications must be completed online at jobs.kentisd.org
- Please note, due to the large number of applications, we are unable to attend to e-mail or telephone inquiries on application status.
- All candidates will be timely notified regarding their application status.
The final candidate for this position will be required (at their cost) to furnish Kent Intermediate School District with a current Michigan State Police and FBI criminal records LiveScan check prior to our recommendation to hire.
It is the policy of the Kent ISD School Board that no student, staff member or candidate for any position in the District shall be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, national origin, creed, ancestry, age, gender/sex, sexual orientation, marital status, height, weight, veteran status, political belief or physical/mental disability which does not impair their ability to perform adequately in the individual’s particular position or activity, excluded from participation in, denied the benefit of, or to be subjected to discrimination in any program or activity for which the Kent ISD School Board is responsible for or receives financial assistance from the U.S. Department of Education. The Coordinator for Title IX, Section 504, the Age Discrimination Act and Title II is: Danielle Hendry, Director of Human Resources and Legal Services.
Kent ISD uses the applicant tracking system from Frontline Education to manage employment applications online.