Volunteer - Volunteer
Mission Statement: Motivated by the love of Christ, we promote abundant life by providing holistic services to women and men affected by unplanned pregnancy.
Position title: Single Moms Support Group Cook
Position type: Volunteer (2-3+ hours each week or every other week)
Department: Educational Services – Single Moms Support Group
Reports to: Educational Services Associate
Basic Function of position: Cooks serve September-May, on Tuesday or Friday, either every week or every other week, as their schedule allows. Cooks work together (if there is another volunteer cooking with them) to plan the menu, buy the needed ingredients, and serve it here at Alpha for lunch at 12:15. Once lunch is served, cooks have the pleasure of eating lunch with clients to build relationships. Clean up after the meal is also required.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
· Build relationships with clients while serving and enjoying lunch with them
· Listen to client stories and offer encouragement
· Show the love of Christ to clients and pray for them
· Sign in and out in the Volunteer Hours binder
· Plan the lunch menu and shop for ingredients (reimbursement is offered when receipts are turned in)
· If another volunteer shares the lunch responsibilities, communicate with them during the planning and shopping
· Prepare the meal either at home or in Alpha’s full kitchen
· Be here at Alpha on the designated Tuesdays or Fridays, having lunch ready to be served at 12:15
· Clean up after lunch
Available Serving Hours:
· Tuesdays at Alpha – time varies depending on set up and prep done here or at home; lunch is served at 12:15.
· Planning, shopping, and prep time outside of Alpha
· Ability to build relationships and communicate with a diverse group of clients
· Organizational and administrative skills
· Knowledge and enjoyment of cooking
Volunteer Application Process
· If interested in this volunteer position, please contact Lauren Herlein, Community Engagement Manager, at 616.742.0242 x105 or firstname.lastname@example.org.