Communications - Full-time
The Communications Manager will develop and oversee the implementation of communications efforts in support of RDV Corporation, its executives, and its owners. The ideal candidate is curious, detail-oriented, energized by variety in their workday, dedicated to presenting high-quality work and customer service, and knowledgeable about business, community, policy and more. An individual with diverse experiences in proactive and reactive communications, in addition to online and offline expertise, will be well-suited for this role.
Culture of Care
At RDV Corporation, we recruit only the most talented people who are highly capable, energetic, positive, results focused, and who naturally contribute to a premier service-oriented culture. In turn, our employees experience competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits programs that enhance their lives and experiences. They also enjoy a workplace that is meaningful, engaging, and collaborative; a place where they can grow their career in the vibrant heart of downtown Grand Rapids, MI.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications to develop and implement proactive, strategic frameworks and corresponding tactical communications efforts in order to achieve company’s measurable objectives.
- Display initiative beyond fulfilling assigned tasks; exhibit foresight in recognizing issues and proactively develop and recommend innovative and creative solutions.
- Conduct in-depth research to ensure complete understanding of topics related to assignments prior to recommending response or drafting communication.
- Guide select media relations efforts, including development of briefing documents and talking points, as well as tracking and analysis of news coverage, with the future potential of serving as a back up to the Director of Communications as a company representative with news reporters.
- Provide writing services, including speeches, social media posts, news-style articles, reports, website copy, and employee communications.
- Craft engaging stories of interest related to assigned work for internal and external audiences.
- Assist in the planning and implementation of a website develop strategy, ensuring successful launches as well as proactively leading and facilitating ongoing updates and maintenance.
- Create and ensure alignment to company branding and messaging standards, conduct secondary research, implement SEO tactics, and develop PowerPoint documents to showcase strategy and reporting.
- Research, develop, compose, and distribute the regular e-newsletter.
- Oversee graphic design projects, video shoots and audio content development, as well as periodically developing efforts in these areas independently.
- Oversee and work alongside agency partners, managing budgets and deadlines.
- Proactively partner with peers and leadership in affiliated organizations to advance projects that may have mutual impact or shared interest.
- Provide technical communications and public relations expertise in reviewing internal and external communications drafted by peers and leaders within the organization.
- Partner with the Director of Communications to provide an expert communications perspective to various staff committees and taskforces.
- Expertly manage day-to-day communications activities including media relations and media monitoring, as well as crisis and rapid response communications.
Elements of Success
- Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, marketing, communications or a related field.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressive experience in strategic communications, public relations and/or media relations.
- Graphic design, video editing, and social media experience preferred.
- A proven analytical and strategic approach to communications strategy.
- Demonstrated ability to provide counsel / guidance / oversight and a willingness to roll up your sleeves to get the job done in the best way possible.
- Understanding and experience with various storytelling and monitoring platforms.
- Superior communications skills (written, visual, verbal and presentation).
- Strong judgement and comfort-level working with confidential, sensitive and proprietary information, as well as an uncompromised commitment to the highest level of confidentiality.
- Self-motivated with a strong performance-driven attitude, willing to execute day-to-day tasks as well as developing strategies and project plans.
- Able to provide oversight but also able to participate in the execution and implementation of the work.
- Ability to work collaboratively and build collaboration across multiple teams.
- Ability to effectively manage budget, quotes, deadlines, contracts, projects and people.
- A desire to research, learn about new things, identify creative solutions and take an idea and grow it into something long-lasting and impactful.
- Ability to maintain a typical work schedule along with availability to monitor and attend to messages, issues, and matters of importance in an appropriate and timely manner.