Healthcare - Full-time
Camp Nurse – Summer 2022
IKUS Life Enrichment Services / Indian Trails Camp
Summer Camp Nurse
IKUS Life Enrichment Services and Indian Trails Camp is looking for and RN or LPN to serve as our Summer Camp Nurse for the 2022 season! Optional year-round opportunities for Weekend Respite Camps are also available.
Indian Trails Camp
IKUS / Indian Trails Camp is a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing individuals with disabilities an enriched life experience through meaningful relationships, recreation, and advocacy. We are home to over 30 acres of beautiful forest offering endless opportunities for outdoor recreational activities. Our remarkable campus brings adaptive recreation to the lives of each individual, combining a barrier-free camp setting with state-of-the-art facilities. It is a place filled with fun, recreation, friendship, and acceptance teaching our campers perseverance, teamwork and self-reliance. Indian Trails Camp welcomes campers with a wide range of physical, cognitive, and/or developmental disabilities aged 5 and beyond. Inclusion and mainstreaming play key roles in making campers feel a part of every experience.
Manages all components of the Health Center, provides medical treatment to campers and staff, when necessary, administers medication to campers, complies with all required documentation, and acts as health educator for campers and staff. Summer Camp season runs for 10 weeks, from May to August with sessions beginning on Sunday afternoon and ending on Friday afternoon – Enjoy your weekend! This position reports to, and supports, the Camp Director. This position is a live-in position. requires living at camp for summer camp or when working a weekend respite camp. Families may be accommodated, with approval.
Summary of Essential Job Functions
- Oversee medical intake process for all campers – gathering all pertinent camper medical need information and ensuring that information is communicated with the appropriate camp staff.
- Prepare and administer medications for campers daily in a safe, accurate, and timely manner throughout their stay at camp.
- Assess and assist with the health and hygiene needs of campers; conduct treatments as needed.
- Keep records regarding administration of medication, prescribed treatments, and other health and medical needs. Follow state and ACA standards in maintaining such records.
- Provide for proper nursing intervention regarding camper and/or staff illness, condition, or emergency care and makes appropriate referrals and provides for follow up care as warranted.
- Foster growth and education for health officers on various treatments and ethical procedures.
- Oversee the preseason set-up and the postseason closing of the Health Center, which includes performing an opening/closing inventory of all supplies and equipment and ordering supplies/equipment as needed and approved by the Camp Director.
- Make rounds throughout the camp checking on campers, staff and the health and safety of the camp in general. Report facility and grounds health risk factors to the Camp Director.
- Coordinate communication lines of health information between campers, caregivers, health officers, camp director, counselors, food service staff, campers, etc.
- Follow, and enforce, American Camp Association and State Licensing requirements.
- Share the duties to maintain the cleanliness and appearance of the Health Center.
- On call during the night on a rotating basis.
- Perform other related duties as needed or requested by the Executive Director, Director of Programs and Services or Camp Director.
Qualifications and Experience:
- LPN or RN, (EMT may be accepted under certain circumstances and training).
- All RNs and LPNs must be MI state licensed
- Current CPR and First Aid certification required
- Be able to lift up to 50 lbs
- Pass background check
- Live on campus during summer camp and weekend respite camps. Families are accommodated.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Ability to physically assist camper with mobility impairment
- Physical ability to respond appropriately to situations requiring first aid. Must be able to assist campers in an emergency (fire, evacuation, illness, or injury) and possess strength and endurance required to maintain constant supervision of campers.
- Prior experience working with individuals with disabilities
- Knowledge of summer camp health practices a plus
Job Type: Seasonal
Pay: varied based on schedule availability, experience, etc.
Reports to: Camp Director
Year-round opportunities available (Weekend Respite Camps)
For more information about our company, visit ikuslife.org. EOE