General Labor - Full-time
Function of Beauty
Founded by a dream team of world-class cosmetic scientists, MIT engineers, and developers, Function of Beauty creates personalized shampoo and conditioner formulations that are individually filled and formulated based on one’s unique hair type, hair goals, and preferences.
Function of Beauty is expanding to Grand Rapids, Michigan and is looking for top talent to join our growing team!
Batch Maker – Grand Rapids, MI
The Batch Maker assists in preparation of batches to meet standards and specifications for products manufactured at the Grand Rapids site.
Functions and Responsibilities
- Calculate amounts of ingredients needed for various batch requirements
- Weigh raw materials as determined by formula requirements for batch preparation
- Mix, blend, cook, pump, and perform all tasks related to completing all required batches following batch record and job order schedule
- Read batch cards to determine product specifications, processing information, technical information
- Record production and test data for each food product batch, such as: ingredients and lot numbers used, temperatures, mixing speeds, test results
- Monitor and regulate gauges, recording instruments, flow meters, and thermometers to correctly adjust the addition of raw materials, mixing temperatures, mixing speeds, etc. to maintain product quality, and ensure safe and efficient operation
- Modify manufacturing directives with written authorization by the Quality Assurance Department by adjusting mixing time cycles and/or addition of ingredients
- Responsible for having knowledge of transfer valves, pumps, etc. which transfers bulk product from manufacturing tanks to run tanks
- Combine and processes weighed ingredients, observing batch throughout manufacturing process
- Record all notable characteristics and introduces color adjustments as required
- Assist in evaluating product stability by submitting samples of experimental products
- Maintain accurate and detailed records and logs of all work performed
- Demonstrate knowledge of and performance within acceptable laboratory safety standards
- Perform other duties as assigned and required
- Experience in an industrial or manufacturing setting
- Proven experience in the application of Good Manufacturing Practices
- Prefer a background in cosmetics, or in chemical compounding, an industrial kitchen, steam kettles or related experience
- Experience with various forms of PIT equipment (straddle stacker, forklift) preferred
- An independent, organized self-starter and team player who can assess needs and deliver results
- Basic computer skills including Word, Excel and data entry experience preferred
- Proficient in weights and measures
The information contained herein is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of the duties and responsibilities of the job, nor are they intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations
- Lift and move objects up to 50 pounds each
- Regular bending, lifting, stretching and reaching both below the waist and above the head
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Engage in full manual dexterity in both hands and wrists
- Ability to climb ladders and gangways safely and without limitation
- Dexterity in eye/hand coordination, feet (foot pedals), manual (picking, pinching, holding, grasping), and wrist motion (repetitive flexion/rotation)
- Working conditions may include small spaces, dust, fumes/odors, hot/cold temperatures, inside/outside noise, vibration, standing on concrete for long hours and wet or uneven surfaces
- Must be able to stand/walk for up to 10-12 hours
- Able to work any shift, including overtime
- Competent with using a PC, Word, Excel, and Windows OS
- Reliable transportation
- Must have batch making experience
- Must have verifiable work references
- Must submit to and pass a pre-employment background check and drug screen