Other - Full-time
Assist in production of editorial content for the VOICES collection for Our Daily Bread Publishing (ODBP).
- Evaluate proposal submissions and contribute ideas for new product development in line with the goals of VOICES/ODBP
- Review manuscript and other content as needed to determine acceptability; make suggestions for developmental editing to the Executive Editor
- Perform line edits and/or proofreading checks on manuscript as assigned
- Assist Executive Editor in assigning, editing, and producing special editions as assigned
- Maintain VOICES internal schedule for products prior to their entry into the ODBP system at copyediting stage
- Assist in communicating direction to marketing through research of comparable products
- Review and proofread marketing copy as requested
- Collaborate with marketing on creating and implementing strategies to amplify VOICES line through social media, partnerships, and other channels
- Assist Executive Editor in check listing content at final proofing stage
- Participate in VOICES team meetings, including VERB (editorial review) and strategy meetings, as well as designated ODBP meetings
- Communicate with authors as needed
- Perform administrative or clerical tasks when editorial assistant needs support. This could include requesting author payments, processing work-for-hire contracts, filing, record keeping, inter-office communication, answering member requests, project management, marking corrections in backlist books, file cleanup, and research.
Study or Knowledge and Experience
B.A. degree with a major in English, Journalism, Publishing, or related subject.
Two years practical experience in a publishing setting.
Growing knowledge of editing and editorial procedures, especially copy and line editing.
Growing knowledge of the Bible with a theological background preferred.
InDesign experience a plus.
Growing knowledge of the current and historical needs of the African American church and African American Christians of all ages
Knowledge of CMS/Christian Writer’s Manual/Adobe Acrobat helpful.
Strive to live a life consistent with biblical principles and demonstrate continued growth and spiritual development.
Internal Work Environment
Regularly communicates internally with teammates and various other teams in the organization. Discretion, accuracy, and tact are required.
External Work Environment
External communication required with authors, aspiring writers, cover designers, typesetters, proofreaders, and indexers.
Stewardship of Resources
Decisions made may affect VOICES/ODBP budget.
Miscellaneous note for consideration:
Our Daily Bread Ministries is a nondenominational nonprofit with staff and volunteers across the globe and resources distributed in 150 countries and in more than 50 languages. As a global ministry faithful to biblical principles, our commitment to diversity is reflected in our ministry’s mission, vision, values, and ethos.
Based on biblical principles, our statement of faith and the richness of our organization’s history, we will strive to reflect our commitment to diversity by honoring the ministry’s mission, vision, values/ethos and guiding principles.