Accounting / Finance - Full-time
The Senior Director of Fund Development must be forward thinking with capabilities necessary to build positive working relationships with a variety of stakeholders, externally and internally. The Senior Director must be strategic, analytical, organized, team-oriented, and able to make decisions in a fast-paced environment. Primary responsibilities include setting strategy, planning, execution, management, and oversight of all fundraising and donor relations activities. The scope of fundraising activities includes, annual funds, individual and major gifts, institutional giving, planned giving, capital campaign planning, public grants, and special events.
This position is an active part of the Amplify GR (AGR) leadership team, participating in making strategic and organizational decisions. The Senior Director collaborates with all members of the organization and forges new relationships and partnerships needed to advance AGR’s reach, impact, and financial goals while maintaining and strengthening existing relationships. This position works closely with the Board of Directors to facilitate the fundraising work taken on by volunteer leadership. Staffing for Amplify GR is provided by RDV.
Amplify GR Mission
AGR is a nonprofit that works alongside neighbors, local businesses, and community groups to build authentic relationships as a foundation for partnership. The partnership focuses on strengthening neighborhoods to widen pathways to success. Places where children grow up with hope and choose to return as adults with joy.
We are committed to facilitating increased opportunities for:
- Reinvigorated neighborhood-based economies by attracting employers, fostering entrepreneurship and investment opportunities, facilitating job placements, and expanding workforce development opportunities.
- Access to mixed-income housing by increasing the availability of high-quality housing options in a manner that includes current residents while fostering community and neighborliness.
- Cradle-to-career educational excellence by supporting the education pipeline in its efforts to produce top-performing outcomes from early childhood through high school, culminating in fulfilling careers.
The nonprofit strives to achieve system-level alignment, make catalytic investments, and develop strategic partnerships in Boston Square and the Cottage Grove/Madison Square area to create more equitable and healthy neighborhoods.
Visit www.amplifygr.org to learn more.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership, Strategic, and Annual Planning
- Provides leadership and direction, working in conjunction with organizational leadership to develop the objectives, strategies, and activities required to raise funds to support AGR’s operations.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director, Board of Directors, and others to carry out fundraising priorities in securing major gifts, planned gifts, and gifts to the annual fund.
- Directs collaborative efforts between the Executive Director, Board members, and staff to identify and qualify major corporate, foundation, and individual donors and oversee the preparation of proposals and presentations.
- Initiates strategies to secure unrestricted operating funds, when possible, while ensuring that all funding is aligned with AGR’s core values and strategic priorities.
- As needed, plans and executes the needs of capital or comprehensive campaigns.
- Oversees research and analysis of data to identify funding trends used to inform the identification, cultivation, and stewardship of corporate, individual, and foundation giving.
- Leads and manages all efforts and reporting related to foundations, individuals, corporations, and special events.
- Works closely with the Executive Director to inform the annual budget based upon projections of anticipated donations and pledges, helping to ensure solid financial footing for AGR.
- Develops, implements, and maintains department budgets, ensuring staff understand and adhere to budget guidelines.
- Oversees the implementation and coordination of AGR’s annual development initiatives, evaluates results, controls expenditures, and maintains organized and detailed financial records.
- Manages the development, effective use, and integrity of a comprehensive donor database to ensure confidentiality of donor data and collaboration among development and finance teams.
- Responds to external and internal communication in a timely fashion, answering telephone calls and emails in a timely manner.
- Prioritizes responses to requests for information from stakeholders in a timely fashion.
- Ensures the timely and accurate input of all AGR fundraising income into the donor database.
- Oversees AGR’s strategic communication and engagement staff to advance relationships and programming, special events, and other initiatives.
- Mentors and coaches a three person communications and engagement team, evaluating and encouraging progress toward individual and collective goals.
- Maintains regular one-on-one and teamwide meetings, providing regular feedback on performance.
Board of Directors
- Oversees and works with the Board to develop strategy, to identify new funding sources/donors, solicit funds from various spheres of influence, and all other development activities.
- Forms and oversees any ad hoc development committees, such as capital campaign or planned giving committees.
- Provides staff support and participates in planning for new Board member orientation, the annual Board retreat, Board Development committee meetings, and Board meetings, when needed.
- Works with the Executive Director to provide accurate and timely information to the Finance committee pertaining to revenue projections, timing of funds received, and possible surpluses/shortfalls for all charitable revenue.
- Collaborates with the Executive Director to communicate and uphold Board giving practices, including the solicitation of personally meaningful gifts from each trustee.
Elements of Success
- 10+ years of professional experience in a nonprofit or fund development role.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree or equivalent preferred.
- Robust management experience, preferably with at least 5 years of leading teams that have met or exceeded their financial goals. Leads as a collaborative and contributing team member.
- Self motivated, and driven to meet and exceed goals.
- Ability to manage multiple team members, priorities, and projects at a time.
- Customer-focused attitude.
- Passionate about Grand Rapids and the mission of Amplify GR. Promoting a positive image at all times.
- Passion for innovation and transformative community development.
- A professional and resourceful style.
- Able to create, communicate, and carry out strategic development plans and budgets.
- Aptitude in decision-making and problem-solving
- An inspiring leader able to work effectively with diverse colleagues, donors, stakeholders, and organizations.
- Organizational and time management skills with exceptional attention to detail.
- Meaningful experience identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding large gifts, including those occurring within a capital campaign cycle.
- Excellent communication skills. Strong public speaking experience and presentation skills.
- Strong organizational and delegation skills.
- Ability to work both independently and be a team player who engages easily with others at varying levels of seniority internal and external to Executive Director.
- Uncompromised commitment to highest level of confidentiality in all aspects of job responsibilities.